Why superficial Chemical Peels?
Skinceuticals superficial chemical peels are a good option for many people as they have a gentler effect and do not give visible skin peeling, inflammation or significant redness compared to medium and deep chemical peels. Superficial chemical peels do not require pain relief, and can be used in many skin types, including darker skin tones, with little or no “down time” or recovery time, which means no obvious skin peeling and no need to take time off work. Skinceuticals offer two types of superficial chemical peeling treatments, the Skinceuticals Gel Peel which is a Salicylic acid peel and the Skinceuticals Pigment Balancing Peel which is a
What Skin Conditions Can Skinceuticals Chemical Face Peels Treat?
- Acne- chemical peel acne treatments exfoliate the skin and allow dead skin cells and excess oils to be removed more effectively. This action unblocks hair follicles and pores and reduces the appearance of pimples, improving the overall skin texture in people with acne.
- Fine lines and wrinkles- chemical peels can reduce these, especially under the eye area and around the mouth in sun damaged or ageing skin.
- Rough skin texture- chemical skin peels can improve rough skin texture by increasing the amount of collagen in the upper layer of the skin.
- Lentigines (large freckles) which appear as dark spots on the skin, also called liver spots, or age spots- a course of chemical peels can lighten large freckles and improve the appearance of sun damaged skin.
- Melasma- is a dark skin discoloration which appears as patches commonly found on the cheeks, nose, lips, upper lip, and forehead and is common in women who are taking hormonal treatment. A course of chemical peels can lighten the appearance of dark discoloured skin caused by melasma.
- Hyperpigmentation- caused by excess skin pigment in the skin which can result in uneven skin tone. Chemical peels can lighten and even out the skin tone.
- Superficial peels are suitable for ethnic skins.
How Many Peels Do I Need?
Whilst you may see some very minor benefits after a single superficial peel. We recommend a course of six peels, one or two weeks apart. This will give the best results, as superficial peels are gentler the full benefits of the peel build up over a course of six treatments.
Book In for a Pre Peel Consultation
We advise you to book a pre peel consultation two weeks before your chemical peel where an aesthetic professional will assess your skin. You will be advised to prepare your skin with three products for two weeks before the peel and to continue these products during and after your course of chemical peels. These three products are Retexturing Activator or Pigment Regulator an Antioxidant and a Sunscreen. These products are highly recommended and in some cases essential to give the best results of the peel and are especially important for those going on a course of peels. To find out more about these products, how they work and please read our recommended skincare for chemical peels page. These products can be purchased from our online store or instore at our Soho clinic.
All chemical peels are performed by our trained aesthetic beauty therapist. Before a peel is performed, our therapist will provide a personalised skin consultation and exclude any medical contraindications. They will also advise you of any creams, treatments and procedures you should stop or avoid before your chemical peel. For further information about these please also read our Chemical Peel FAQ page.
The Peel Procedure
During the peel your skin will be cleansed and toned and the chemical peel will be applied to your skin using a gentle brush, the peel will be left on the skin for between three and five minutes. The procedure is not painful. The total consultation and procedure time is 30 minutes.
Chemical Peel Aftercare Advice
After your peel you may notice that the skin is more red than usual for two hours afterwards and may feel tight or dry. You may also experience some very mild flaky skin for a few days. It is very important to use a sunscreen during the course of your treatment and for four weeks after to prevent uneven skin tone and excess pigmentation. Please read our full chemical peel aftercare advice and our recommended skin care regime for chemical peels page.
Chemical Peel Cost
- Single Chemical Peel £80
- Course of Six Chemical Peels £400
- *Recommended Skincare before and after a chemical peel – click for more information
Prices include an optional pre peel skin consultation with our aesthetic therapist two weeks before your peel. To get the most effective results we recommend a course of six peels one or two weeks apart.
*To enhance the effectiveness of the peel we recommend use of the three creams before, during and after your course of chemical peel including Retexturing Activator or Pigment Regulator, an Antioxidant and a Sunscreen, which can be bought online or in store at your pre peel consultation.